Who is Harper listening to? Not even his own supporters let alone the general public.
- 53% of Canadians disagree with the decision to prorogue Parliament
- Only 19% of Canadians agree with the decision
- The rest are undecided!
- 38% think prorogation is being invoked to curtail an inquiry into the treatment of Afghan detainees
- Less than half of Conservative voters agree with the decision to prorogue
According to the most current Angus Reid Public Opinion Poll which can be read in its entirety here.
After reading this and hearing our local MP and the Prime Minister attempt to justify Proguement I could only think:
Leaders should want to lead especially when it is difficult.
In the coming weeks we will have announcements for many of the things the Brant NDP will be doing to bring awareness to this issue. Proroguement is the opposite of collaboration. We need and deserve a Parliament that works for the benefit of Canadians.
The NDP has a fine history holding the balance of power in Ottawa and making Parliament work when people think it can't possibly anymore. It is my sense that the NDP will have a fine future of electing officials who are not just worried about getting elected but are hungry to do the work required of them in both at the local and Federal level.
Some things you can do:
- Join the Facebook Group Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament here.
- Mark yourself down as coming to one of the rallies that will be held on January 23, 2010 all over Canada. I will be attending and speaking at the one in Hamilton. More information on these events can be found here.
- Spread the word in person, using social media or by commentating on your local news outlets websites. Help gently remind your community that this is costly, foolish and hypocritical mistake.
- And...Stay tuned to this page for more announcements in the weeks ahead.
As always if you would like to support the work we are doing in Brant please feel free to contact us, volunteer or donate at the tabbed links found at the top of this page.
Together we go forward,
Together we go further!
Federal Candidate - Brant NDP